Temporary Entry
Home » Temporary Entry

Temporary Entry

A foreign individual who wish to work, study or visit Canada must apply for “Temporary Status” to Immigration Canada. Such foreign individuals belong to “visitors”.

A visitor means a person who is lawfully in Canada, or seeks to come into Canada for a temporary purpose, such as work, study or visit, and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or the holder of a minister’s permit.

A visitor must be granted a temporary resident visa or, as it is often called, a visitor visa, unless they are citizen of a visa exempt country. A foreign national will also need Work Permit if they wish to work temporarily in Canada; or a Study Permit if they intend to study in Canada.

To be eligible for a visitor visa, a foreign national should not have a criminal record or pose a security risk, should be in good health, and should have sufficient funds to support themselves during their temporary stay in Canada. A visitor might need a medical examination if they plan to stay in Canada more than 6 months.

Immigration Canada will deny entry into Canada to persons who, in the opinion of the immigration officer at the port of entry, do not intend to leave Canada at the expiry of their visitor status.

Foreign Workers:

Information on requirements for foreign nationals who wish to work in Canada.

International Students:

Information on requirements for foreign nationals who wish to study in Canada.


Information on foreign nationals wishing to visit Canada.

The information contained on these pages is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice. You are advised that the acts of sending e-mail to or viewing or downloading information from this website does not create an consultant-client relationship.