International Students
Home » Temporary Entry » International Students

International Students

Immigration Canada requires that foreign individuals who wish to study at Canadian educational institutions must obtain study permit. A study permit is a document issued by Immigration Canada officials that permits a foreign individual to study in Canada. The document specifies the Canadian educational institution, the program and the period of studies.

The student will need to know one of the two Canada’s official languages to follow course lectures and reading assignments. Some post-secondary schools might ask the student to take a language test. They may charge a fee for this test, which the student will have to pay.

Immigration Canada will normally issue a study permit if an applicant has received an acceptance letter from a qualified Canadian educational institution, and possesses sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs. In some cases, Immigration Canada may require applicants to undergo medical examinations.

In addition, holders of study permits must apply for and be granted Canadian visitor visas. They must meet all standard Canadian visa requirements.

Immigration Canada generally issues study permits that are valid for the duration of the intended course of studies. However, international students studying in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec must renew their status each year.

A study permit is not required if the course or study program lasts for six months or less, the courses are not academic, professional or vocational in nature or the courses included in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourists; nursery schools or kindergartens.

International Students are allowed to work in Canada in limited situations, such as:

  • employment on-campus;
  • the international student is the recipient of a scholarship;
  • the work has been certified as an integral part of the study program;
  • the work consists of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship; and
  • the work takes place after graduation in a field related to the program of study.

Ariadne Counseling can provide you with the following assistance:

  • choosing an educational institution and program;
  • representing you before the institution;
  • preparing and submitting the file to Canadian visa post to obtain study permit and entry visa;
  • representing you before Immigration Canada.

For further details please contact Ariadne Counselling.

The information contained on these pages is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice. You are advised that the acts of sending e-mail to or viewing or downloading information from this website does not create an consultant-client relationship.